- Light the stick: Using a candle or other safe source of flame, light either end of the incense stick. You need not light much of the incense, just the very tip.
- Blow out the incense: Once the tip catches, blow out the flame. You should see a glowing reddish ember on the tip indicating the incense is lit and will continue to burn.
- Place in a holder: Insert the unlit end of the stick into a incense holder or burner, and place this on ceramic plate or bowl designed to catch the ash made as the incense burns.
- Place in your space: The best way to experience incense is by placing it in the center or corner of your space. Avoid placing the incense right next to you.
- Enjoy: Listen to the fragrance arising from the incense stick as its aroma fills the space. Delight in the gentle flowing smoke that trails from the burning end, gently wafting through the air. Often our high quality incenses will offer one note from the unlit stick, another while burning, and yet a final lingering note after the incense has stopped burning.
- Lit incense, by definition, is hot. Don't touch the lit end! Brushing up against lit incense can cause severe burns or ruin clothing.
- Once lit, never leave incense unattended.
- Incense should always be used with an appropriate incense burner/holder. These are designed specifically to safely hold burning incense. Make sure that the ash is contained by the burner/holder as it may often be hot enough to discolor furniture or create a risk of fire.
- Be aware of your placement of incense. A lit stick of incense should be kept away from places where children or pets might encounter it, or a breeze might blow a curtain into contact with it or knock over a lit stick. Always make sure the incense burner/holder is placed on a stable surface out of the flow of traffic, removed from breezes, and away from flammable objects.
- Be sure to burn incense in spaces that are well ventilated. Burning any incense will produce smoke - even reduced smoke varieties. If you have any medical conditions that may be impacted by burning incense, please discuss with your medical professional prior to burning incense.